Is there anything better than a warm cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter's day? With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a rich and creamy cup of hot chocolate right in your own kitchen. Whether you prefer it simple, spicy, or with a twist of mocha, we’ve got you covered with these three delicious recipes. So, let's get started!
Simple Hot CocoaIf you're in the mood for a classic and straightforward hot chocolate, this simple recipe is perfect for you.
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup skim evaporated milk
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla flavoring
- A handful of miniature marshmallows
- Combine 1 tbsp. cocoa powder and 1 tbsp. granulated sugar in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Microwave ¾ cups of water on high for 1 ½ minutes until it boils.
- Pour the hot water over the cocoa mixture and stir until it’s smooth.
- Microwave 2/3 cup skim evaporated milk on high for 1 minute. Then, pour the warm milk into the mug with the water and cocoa mixture.
- Add ¾ tsp. of vanilla flavoring and stir well to combine the ingredients. Top with mini marshmallows and enjoy!
Mocha Hot ChocolateFor coffee lovers, this mocha hot chocolate recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup instant espresso powder
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 6 cups milk
- 2 cups half and half
- Combine 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 cup of sugar, ¼ cup of instant espresso powder, 1 tbsp. vanilla, 1 pinch of salt, and 1 cup of cold water in a heavy saucepan and heat the mixture over low heat.
- Whisk the ingredients together until the cocoa powder is dissolved and the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add 6 cups of scalded milk and 2 cups of scalded half and half to the mixture over low heat, whisking the ingredients together until they’re hot but not boiling.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious mocha hot chocolate!
Spicy Hot ChocolateFor those who like a little kick in their drinks, this spicy hot chocolate recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and spicy.
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground chili pepper
- 1 seeded and sliced red bell pepper
- Heat 2 1/2 cups of milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until it's hot but not boiling.
- Add 4 oz. of chopped unsweetened chocolate and 1/2 cup of sugar to the milk. Stir until they’re blended.
- Add 3/4 tsp. of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. of chili powder, and 1 seeded and sliced red bell pepper to the mixture. Bring the ingredients to a simmer.
- Remove the red pepper strips.
- Serve and enjoy your spicy hot chocolate!